Session 1: Learning Architecture

Home Forums SO100EC OLC Portal Frontend Session 1: Learning Architecture

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed. 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

OT Academy
    Keymaster

In 200 words or less, share your personal perspective on one of the following questions:

1. What does the phrase flexible, immersive, social learning mean?
    2. What are the key differences between the term tuition-free and Zero Debt™ education? Which of the two do you prefer and why?
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  OT Academy.

Dr. Shinshuri
    Keymaster

Test post

Dr. Shinshuri
    Keymaster

We use a revolutionary learning architecture that is unlike any other learning platform I have seen. I am excited about the growth possibilities of our platform and how it will morph as students and faculty engage on the platform. It will truly become a living organism. How exciting is that!

Eugene Ceballos
    Keymaster

To me, the term Flexible means to be able to accomplish something at a convenient time. Rather it be something that has to do with work, with school or with anything of that nature. Immersive means to be able to surround yourself with that certain topic of setting. social learning is something that we can do with multiple people at a time. If you add all three of these things together, then you will get a convenient setting with a learning experience. I believe the key terms of Zero Debt and Tuition-free education are both closely tied into each other. For example, if you attend college without having to pay anything, then you are attending that college for free. If you continue through that college and graduate without student loans, then you will have Zero Debt. In the end, I prefer both terms.

OT Academy
      Keymaster

Hi Eugene:

It’s always great to see and understand another person’s perspective. I like how you explain each term as it relates to flexible, social, and immersive, then tie them all together to create a unique experience. That is exactly what the OLC Portal and the learning we co-create here is intended to do.

Also, your perspective on tuition-free and Zero Debt has expanded my world view. I had not though about it the way you described. Rather, I view tuition-free to mean that the education or actual classroom experience is priceless and no cost fee is charged to engage in the experience. However, access to the supportive tools and technology are supplementary incidental costs that students should pay for directly out-of-pocket for such things live materials, textbooks, computers, hardware, software, room and board etc…, but not the actual eCourse. Zero Debt for mean means no student loans. But, I can see from your perspective another viewpoint. Something to expand upon. Thanks for sharing!

Eugene, you have an interesting perspective on our program of flexible, immersive, social learning. I, too, broke this into its component parts. It is always wonderful to see how others define our concepts in ways that make them more personal.

Also, you included the second topic in your post on Tuition-free and Zero Debt. It seems though, that instead of addressing the differences in the meaning of the two concepts, you showed how similar they can be, and that they should be combined. This seems to make some sense. However, please consider that “tuition-free” does not truly mean that the education is given away, free of cost. There are the standard costs of higher education, such as the cost of textbooks and technology fees. Please do not get into the habit of explaining that tuition-free means free education. Some people might be easily confused by this.

The phrase “flexible, immersive, social learning” is used to describe our FlexLearn™ method of education. What does it mean? Let’s break the phrase into its component parts. Flexible education is where everyone involved is free to utilize his or her own learning preferences and intelligences to assimilate the information to be learned. Immersive education means simply that all those involved in the learning situation are fully committed to it. They are focused on getting the most from the learning experience, via full participation. This includes students, faculty, administrators, and employer/partners. Lastly, social learning refers to the fact that true learning does not take place in a vacuum. We are a learning community, working together to achieve our success. We learn from each other, and with each other. Full participation in discussions, both in our live sessions and in our discussion forums allows us to learn from and with each other. This is flexible, immersive, social learning – learning, at its best!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.